Sunday, April 22 is National Jelly Bean Day!
The treat became popular during the Civil War thanks to a Boston confectioner named William Schrafft. He encouraged people to send the sweet to Union soldiers.
In the '30s, the candy became an Easter staple because of its egg-like shape, but now they're a treat enjoyed all year round.
Some other fun facts about jelly beans:
- Jelly beans used to be a popular Christmastime candy.
- It can take anywhere from seven to 21 days to make jelly beans.
- They were the first candy to be sold by weight instead of price.
- Jelly beans used to be separated and sold by color.
- The blueberry-flavored jelly bean was created for Ronald Reagan's inauguration. Jelly beans were his favorite candy.
- Jelly beans have been to space (thanks to President Reagan).