NCPD: Convicted felon out on bail in deadly 2018 hit-&-run case charged in May 9 shooting

Terrance A. Green (Charleston County Detention Center).jpg
Terrance A. Green (Charleston County Detention Center)

A convicted felon free on bond from a 2018 reckless homicide charge is back in jail after North Charleston Police say he shot a man several times Thursday night.

Terrance Green, 29, remains in the Charleston County Detention Center, charged with attempted murder and three gun-related crimes, in connection to the May 9 shooting.

The incident happened around 8:30 p.m. Thursday at a house on Burton Lane, near Spruill Avenue, according to North Charleston Police.

Green, the shooting victim, and several other people were reportedly playing cards inside the residence, when Green and the victim got into an altercation, police say.

Police say they located the victim on the ground outside the residence, suffering from several gunshot wounds. Meanwhile, Green was spotted walking away from the incident location, and arrested shortly thereafter.

At the time of his arrest, jail records show Green was out of jail on bond from two 2018 incidents, including a deadly Hanahan hit-and-run, and a high-speed pursuit.

Green is awaiting trial for the 2018 incidents, facing charges of reckless homicide, hit-and-run involving death, two counts of failure to stop for blue lights, and several gun and drug possession charges.

Scarlett Wilson, chief state prosecutor for Charleston and Berkeley counties, said Green was supposed to be under strict house arrest and electronic monitoring as a condition of his bond.

Those conditions don't appear to have been enforced, Wilson says.

"This defendant is yet another poster child for bond reform and, hopefully, the legislature will give us some relief," Wilson said. "He is definitely on our radar and we are considering all our options."

Bond has been set at $60,000 for Green's firearm charges related to Thursday's shooting. A magistrate did not set bond on the attempted murder charge.

Authorities have charged Green with attempted murder before. In 2012, he attempted to hit a Charleston County Sheriff's Office deputy with a vehicle, prompting the deputy to shoot Green in self defense.

Green was hospitalized as a result of being shot, but recovered and was later arrested and charged.

A judge sentenced Green in 2013 to six years in prison in connection to the incident, after Green pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of first degree assault and battery.

A criminal background check shows Green only served four years of his six year sentence in the officer-involved shooting incident.

Green was out of jail by November 2017, at which time North Charleston Police arrested him on a drug possession charge, according to SLED.

Green's convicted felon status means he legally is not allowed to posses a firearm.