Armed felon fights cop, threatens to kill people on the street, Charleston Police say

Victor M. Perez (Charleston County Detention Center).jpg
Victor M. Perez (Charleston County Detention Center)

Charleston Police say they arrested an armed man Wednesday night who was threatening to kill people near a Johns Island bus stop.

Victor M. Perez, 39, of Johns Island remains in jail accused of disorderly conduct, assaulting a police officer while resisting arrest, and three illegal gun possession charges. Police say he is a convicted felon with multiple prior drug and gun-related arrests.

Charleston Police says Perez's arrest Wednesday night came after people reported a man with a handgun in his waistband along the 3500 block of Maybank Highway yelling he was going to kill people.

A female officer arrived to find Perez yelling and causing a disturbance near a bus stop on Bohicket Road, and reportedly saw Perez adjusting his waistband as if he had something in it, according to a Charleston Police statement.

The officer drew her gun and ordered Perez to show his hands, but he instead ignored her and tried to leave on a bicycle, police say.

As Perez was trying to leave, police say the pedals on his bicycle locked up, allowing the officer to get him off of the bicycle. This led to a struggle, and police say Perez fell on the ground, dislodging a loaded 9mm handgun with an extended magazine from his waistband.

The officer cleared the handgun from the immediate area, but Perez continued resisting arrest, and even hit the officer in her chest.

Another officer arrived to provide backup, and Perez was placed in handcuffs.

Officers reported Perez continued to yell and cause a disturbance throughout this exchange.

Once he was detained, officers searched Perez, and reportedly found an additional loaded magazine and two 9mm bullets.

Perez was taken from the scene via EMS to the Medical University of South Carolina hospital, according to police.

Charleston Police say the female officer Perez reportedly assaulted was taken to Roper Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, and was released later that night.